As part of the work I am doing for some of my clients, I daily monitor literally hundreds of Twitter accounts that deal with international education. I have the opportunity to see how many organizations are using Twitter. Most, unfortunately, are not using it to their best advantage.
But there are some that are. These are some of the Twitter accounts that are some of my favorites, that I think are doing it best and that international educators can look to as models. What makes them among the best, in my opinion?
- There is obviously a human being running the Twitter account and that human being has a personality.
- They post on a regular basis and share helpful information above and beyond simply marketing their organization/programs or using them for public relations.
- They respond and engage in conversation with their followers on a regular basis. In other words, their Twitterstream isn't only "outbound" social media.
- They pass on TwitterLove by retweeting valuable and fun information.
These are in alphabetical order:
- @APIStudyAbroad and @AspireAbroad (both part of the same organization)
- @DavidComp (although he's recently announced that he's cutting back on Twitter)
- I'd like to be able to list a 10th, but I couldn't find any other international education Twitter accounts that met my criteria! Will yours be the 10th?
- Profiles in International Education: Lisa Niver Rajna (wanderingeducators.com)
- Profiles in International Education: Karen Smith Rotabi (wanderingeducators.com)
- Ten education journos worth following on Twitter (b2bsocialmediaguide.com)